Steps to Get A Class A CDL in Oklahoma
Review OK CDL Requirements
You can find the Oklahoma CDL requirements for first-time applicants here.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to drive within state lines (intrastate).
- You must be at least 21 years old to: drive commercial vehicles across state lines (interstate) and haul hazardous materials
- Excellent hearing and vision: Must hear a whisper from 5 feet away. 20/40 vision with a 70-degree field of vision Must have a full physical exam before entering a class
When applying for your Class A CDL you will need to provide documentation, some examples of forms are:
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card (or proof of the number)
- U.S. Passport
- Birth Certificate
- An Oklahoma driver license
- U.S. Passport
- Other state’s driver license (if transferring from another state)
- Military ID card
One of the following:
- U.S. Citizen
- Valid, unexpired U.S. Passport
- Certified copy of a birth certificate filed with a State Office of Vital Statistics or equivalent agency in the individual's State of birth, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) issued by the U.S. Department of State
- Certificate of Naturalization issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Certificate of Citizenship issued by DHS
Lawful Permanent Resident
- Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card, issued by United State Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) **Required unless noted on your driver's license file.
- Proof of Oklahoma residency (accepted documents)
- Valid Oklahoma Class D driver license
- A DOT medical card, if you plan on leaving Oklahoma with CDL vehicles. **Legal presence documentation required for TSA background check. You will be required to pass a vision test to ensure you meet the vision requirements for a CDL. Once the proper paperwork is complete, the Driver License Examiner will issue your paperwork to you. You may take the paperwork to any tag agency of your choice to be issued your CDL renewal — click here to view the fees.
The fees will vary depending on the Class you are applying for.
- Class A $25
- Class B $15
- Class C $15
- Class A $56.50
- Class B $56.50
- Class C $46.50
REPLACEMENT FEE $25
Depending on which endorsements you want to add to your Oklahoma CDL, there will be optional written tests depending on the vehicle type. This step will require further research since some endorsements include background checks.
Take the Written, Skills, & Acceptable Residency Tests
Before testing, it is recommended to obtain a Commercial Driver License (CDL) Manual from the Oklahoma website here or pick up a physical copy from any Department of Public Safety testing facility. American Truck Training will schedule a CDL skills test on your behalf when you are ready. Be aware that some locations are scheduled far in advance. Once you have successfully completed the written, skills, and residency tests you will be issued paperwork to take to any tag agency of your choice to print your CDL.
Our Job Placement Partners
Our focus on quality training has allowed us to become one of the most respected Class A CDL programs in the industry. With a 98% job placement rate, our graduates are thoroughly prepared for testing and future career opportunities. Depending on the job and location, new hires in the trucking industry with a Class A CDL license can expect to earn $50,000- $75,000 per year plus benefits. There is a growing need for qualified drivers and by obtaining your Class A CDL license through American Truck Training you have a number of opportunities to join an industry that supports you. Below are just a few of our carriers partners throughout the industry:
Length of Our Training Program
Earning a Class A CDL is an ambitious goal that requires time and commitment. Most companies are looking to hire qualified drivers so it is important to find a course with a minimum of 160 hours of training. At American Truck Training, our 160 hour course takes approximately 4 weeks to complete if done with dedication.
A Class A CDL license is arguably the most versatile CDL license due to its high degree of mobility. You deserve a hands-on experience that will prepare you for a successful career once your training is complete. At American Truck Training, we have created a comprehensive training program and utilize our partnerships with top trucking carrier companies to get you hired after graduation. Rest assured, we are just as invested in your future as you are.
Why earn your Class A CDL?
Class A CDL license is required for people hoping to start careers as commercial drivers. Earning your Class A license gives you the ability to legally operate any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 26,001 pounds.
Why Choose American Truck Training?
At American Truck Training, we understand there’s no substitute for hand-on experience. That’s why you’ll be working alongside your instructor to learn the ins and outs of operating Class A commercial vehicles in a variety of real, on-the-road situations. Upon graduation of our program, you will be confident in your skills and ready to enter the workforce.
At American Truck Training, you will be learning from instructors who have years of experience as professional truck drivers. As you progress through the program, our instructors will be there every step of the way to offer guidance, answers questions and support you.
We believe one of the best ways to prepare students for a career in trucking is by training them on the same equipment they will use in their new career after graduation. Our program puts you behind-the-wheel of the same commercial vehicles used by trucking carriers throughout the country so you are well-equipped to start working after graduation.
Our school is designed to help students enter the trucking industry no matter their situation. Our admissions representative work hard to remove financial barriers that may prevent you from attending school. Our staff and instructors are there for you every step of the way to ensure you earn your CDL and start work in the industry.